REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Thursday, January 20, 2011

And antique simple pleasure with fuzzy inhabitants

My Simple Pleasure today doesn't have anything to do with the kitchen, as Dayle's fabulous chicken noodle soup does! (The kitchen isn't on my list of favorite places!)    This American Victorian settee (or whatever a one-armed seat was called) was handed down to me by my mother; it was part of a suite of handcarved  furniture in her grandparents' house.  They were married in 1881, but I don't know the age of this piece.   The upholstery is original.  Now it holds my small collection of teddy bears, and I try to choose carefully when I decide to add a bear to the crowded seat.

11 comments:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Oh my ... that is not only a spectacular piece of furniture, Evelyn, but those teddy bears make my heart go weak. Aren't they adorable?

Loved this!

Karen said...

Love your beautiful chair. Especially the little rollers on the legs. From what I can see the upholstery is in great shape. The teddy bears are so cute and fill it up!:)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful settee..Just gorgeous :)

M.

Debbie said...

That is a beautiful piece! The fact that it's a family piece makes it all the more so.

Discovery School at First Baptist Heath said...

What a beautiful simple pleasure, I see why you are particular about who may sit there. :)

Linda O'Connell said...

There is certainly a story in this beautiful piece of furniture. I am a seasoned teacher also. Stop by http://lindaoconnell.blogspot.com/

Trish said...

Evelyn, your settee is so special!
It looks great with all your teddys too.
I love antique furniture and this is a very pretty piece!
To have inherited such a family heirloom is such a blessing :-)
joy in Christ..Trish

Kay K said...

Your furry friends look on comfy on the beautiful furniture ....

Rosie Grey said...

What a wonderful composition and collection of bears, Evelyn! This is so beautiful - I love it!

Laura said...

What a wonderful photo. I love your collection of bears!

Lisa Gordon said...

Evelyn -
What a treasure indeed!!! This is just beautiful, and I love the fact that you are using it for your teddy bears. Could not be more perfect. LOVE it!