REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A simple yellow daffodil....bud

My Simple Pleasure for Dayle's blog doesn't compare to the eye-popping blue orchid she discovered at a nursery.  But my little yellow daffodil is my first to actually promise bloom after this seemingly extra-long winter.  The first!   I have a planting of daffodils under the oil tank on the east side of the house; they are still green with only a hint of yellow.  Last fall, though, I planted 12 or 16 daffodil bulbs on the other side of my house in an area where an ugly old juniper shrub once stood.  Now I can see flowers from my one tiny west-facing kitchen window (the result of an addition 30 years ago that put the kitchen in the center of the house with little natural light).   Those first flowers will be a happy yellow.

Yesterday morning, a "fuse" blew on a power pole just half a block from here, and I was without electricity for more than 3 hours.   It was morning, chilly outside, and the rain was coming --- again.   I felt  a desperate need to take a photograph, to find something delightful in this gray spring landscape.   I did.   It will be wonderful when all those yellow blooms are open to the sun.


I played with textures but decided straight out of the camera was the best.  


15 comments:

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Now that is a simple pleasure... what a treat!

TexWisGirl said...

hope springs for lovely days ahead!

Rosie Grey said...

How wonderful, Evelyn! What a beauty the first one is - so glad spring has finally arrived!

Gail Dixon said...

It's so nice when you can find a little joy in the cold grayness. Beautiful, Evelyn!

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

A daffodil soon to open, with friends close behind.
A perfect and beautiful capture!

Tammy said...

I'm a purest I guess. Textures have their place, but I tend to prefer what the eye sees. Glad you let their natural beauty shine through. They are lovely.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

And what a lovely little bloom that will be. Finding beauty on gray days ... now that's a simple pleasure indeed.

Joan Hall said...

I love daffodils - they are the first flowers of spring and a sign of warmer weather. Here in Texas ours have already come and gone (everything seems to be blooming earlier this year). Your photos are lovely.

Blessings,
Joan

SouthernSass said...

Beautiful shots! I miss our daffodils - they did not seem to last as long because of the warmer than normal spring we have been having.

Debbie said...

I'm completely in agreement with this simple pleasure. Daffodils are among my most favorite flowers in the world. The way you captured the buds is really wonderful.

I can relate to the power outage. Ours went out right after I posted and only recently came on. Instead of a walk and photography, I resorted to the simple pleasure of coffee at Starbucks.

Anonymous said...

Mine are just beginning to open...they are such a hopeful flower !

Mrs. M.

Elise Ann Wormuth said...

A little flower, filled with promise . . .

Barbara Neubeck said...

Hi Evelyn,
Daffodils = Spring
How lovely to find a bud on a cold grey day.
God Bless
Barb from Australia

Angel said...

Nothing like a new budding flower to announce the coming of spring. This is beautiful!

Trish said...

Ah..the sweet promise of Spring :-)
Enjoy all beauty each lovely flower gives you Evelyn!
blessings..Trish