REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Finding a subject

It's more than halfway through January....the big snowstorm last week was followed by rain, so we're back to the "blahs" again.  I don't even have colorful classroom chairs to photograph, as Lisa did for her Creative Exchange photo this week. She marks 13 years in a classroom that will become the victim of "re-construction" next June.  (I taught the last 26 years of my 34-year career in one classroom just 7 blocks from my house.)

My photo this week is the result of some experimentation.   I've often complained about the lack of natural light in our house; only one room has two walls of windows, facing north and west.  Sometimes, I can use that light effectively.   This past weekend, after buying two bunches of tulips, I decided to try a 55-250 zoom lens indoors.  I thought I could probably eliminate background distractions that way.   It worked!    (The vase was on the dark wood coffee table with afternoon (winter) light behind and to the left.  This image is SOOC.)

22 comments:

Seeing Each Day said...

Congratulations on such a well taken SOOC shot. Really like the white petals against the background - works really well.

Angie said...

Evelyn! That is a FABULOUS shot! And in winter light even. Wow. Your tulips are perfection. I love tulips, they always seem to fall over perfectly and just look so beautiful sitting in a vase. They are just so pretty! You did a great job here. SOOC. Nice!

Carole M. said...

...and the result is delightful; so sweet.

Nadege, said...

A wonderful composition , I love the way the second tulip has been left in soft focus.

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

Beautiful image. Very soft natural lighting, great DOF.
I love your header, too!

minor said...

it is very difficult to take white flowers. They are stunning beautiful.

A Creative Grace said...

Well done, it's hard with the dark days isn't it? I have the same problem here! I love the way you've composed the tulips too :)

Lisa Gordon said...

Not only did it work, but it is absolutely beautiful Evelyn!! Such a wonderful focal point, and beautiful depth of field here. I would be VERY proud of this one!!

Thank you so much for sharing with us this week at The Creative Exchange.

Have a wonderful day!

lisa.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Stunning Evelyn. The softness and lighting really add to the delicacy of the flower. BTW - LOVE your new semi-abstract header!

TexWisGirl said...

i love it! beautiful and soft.

i also love the header (topaz effect?) gorgeous!!!

Linda Willets Photography said...

You captured all the detail in the white tulips beautifully.

Rosie Grey said...

What a beautiful shot, Evelyn! It's as if you lived just around the corner! We had a snow storm, too, and the rain was gone within hours - now it's raining and a storm is blowing! I almost bought tulips myself last week - now I wish I had...! Have a wonderful week!

Unknown said...

It worked lovely! Natural light is my favorite to shot in.

EG CameraGirl said...

Cool idea! I'll have to try my 55-250 zoom to see if I can get similar results. :)

Nancy said...

So pretty, Evelyn. Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Ida said...

Very Artistic!
Hope all is well, you haven't popped by my blog in awhile.

Anna said...

The DOF, winter light, and selective focus are perfect in this piece!!! SOOC... well, that's amazing! Lovely :)
Happy week to you!

Pat said...

A lovely shot, Evelyn!

Serendipityissweet said...

Really beautiful! Well done ;)

Anonymous said...

This is stunning! And SOOC to boot...great job!

Mira Crisp said...

Evelyn, you did such a great job with this photo! It's wonderful!

hootnonny said...

Nice, Evelyn. Reminds me of spring (as has many of our warm days this week!)