REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Immigrants

About two years ago, we started seeing doves that weren't of the mourning type.  They were a lighter gray with a dark neck ring, and they made an ugly sound, almost like fingernails on a chalkboard.   Before long, the regional wildlife expert had an article in the newspaper about the influx of Asian Collared Doves.    These birds have moved west from Florida...after being imported there and set free.   Problem?   They reproduce very easily, evidently. They are considered an "invasive species."    Now we rarely see mourning doves---although I hear some each morning once in awhile---but their immigrant cousins are everywhere.   Of course, I've started feeding them.   ;-)    This morning, one sat on the fence outside my family room window, casing the feeding territory before moving to the ground. Isn't "she" a beauty?  (Maybe later, I'll learn how to tell females from males.)

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i think they are beautiful! we only see a few here amidst the mourning doves. :)

Reena said...

I haven't seen any around here ... but I'll keep my eyes open now that I know the difference!

Carole M. said...

great to see a bird post from you Evelyn; really nice looking dove too

Nancy said...

Not sure why, but we don't see as many doves around here as we used to. This is a lovely capture. Beautiful bird.