REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Thursday, April 18, 2013

A True Sign of Spring

The first hummingbird of the season visited one of my feeders this morning.  It was a Calliope, the smallest hummer in North America.  This is later than last year, (when I checked my 2012 calendar, I discovered that the first one last year was actually two days later) but the temperature was also 38 degrees!  Poor little bird.  We're supposed to have warmer weather in a week---if we can believe the long-range forecast.  I've prepared the sugar water for a second feeder on the other side of the house.


15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

tiny thing! love those stripes on his gorget! glad you had your feeder up and ready for him!

Rosie Grey said...

How wonderful, Evelyn! Such a great shot!
We've finally had a few warmer days and a bit of sunshine, too - it feels so good!

Candy C. said...

It's a good thing you had the feeder ready for the little guy! :)

Nancy said...

I've never seen or heard of this one Ev -- amazing little bird!

Linda W. said...

Oohhh...so tiny and cute! Great shot.

Tricia said...

What a cute little thing! I'm waiting for a warm up too...it's snowing right now.

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

How sweet! He looks truly grateful! What a little beauty. xx

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ohhh spring!!! Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet little bird!

Gail Dixon said...

I tried so hard to get shots of the Calliope last summer at Bluebonnet Swamp, but never did. This is great! What a treat to have this magnificent little fella visiting you!

Reena said...

Oh, you are so lucky! I haven't seen any at my feeder yet ... Been out for a week.

Carole M. said...

glorious little birds; how super to see them visiting

A Creative Grace said...

So cute! I'm glad to see the signs of spring are finally coming to us all :)

Lisa Gordon said...

Oh my goodness, he is teeny, Evelyn!
What a precious little one.
I LOVE this photograph.
I hope it warms up soon for you.
And for me too! :-)

Ida said...

Oh my that is a tiny hummer but a sweet looking one. I may bet a feeder this year as the few I saw last year on our flowers never landed long enough to photograph.
Here's to the long awaited warmer weather!