Joining Nancy's Random 5 Friday meme again:
1. I took my elderly mother to the Fourth of July parade in my hometown. (I grew up on a farm 2 miles from town.) It's a good old-fashioned parade down the long main street, which is also the state highway through town, passing several empty buildings that once housed active businesses. Newcomers seeing the people lining the streets and lining up for hamburgers and hotdogs at the fire hall afterwards would never guess the declining population.
2. I never tire of photographing horses, whether they're in parades, rodeos, or in roadside pastures.
3. It's good to have the dry NE Oregon heat back, after two miserable triple-digit-temperature days with extremely high humidity. I can handle the 95-degree heat with humidity in the high 20's just fine. Nighttime temperatures drop by 30+ degrees.
4. Our "boys" are coming home next week! The oldest is flying to Portland from New York on Monday, and his brother and future sister-in-law will drive him across the state for a long weekend of family time and rodeo action. The last time they were all here together was March of 2011. The next time will be in 5 weeks when the youngest and "the girl" get married. (The eldest, a chef in Brooklyn, has a menu planned for a delayed anniversary dinner he's going to prepare for his dad and me.)
5. Lots to do in a few days: Chamber of Commerce newsletter, drastic closet-cleaning in the spare bedroom before the kids arrive, general housecleaning in anticipation of the most-welcome guests. The rodeo begins on Wednesday, which means Miss Kennedy will become a daily part of our lives for awhile.