1. The Globe Thistles have started to bloom; they are strange flowers on strange plants that grow at least 5 feet tall. First the flower has all those little purple and white spiky things, and then the blossoms burst at the ends. These thistles aren't "stickery" at all, and the bees love them.
2. I've been under pressure this week with some deadlines (for volunteer activities!), and for the decision to co-sign on an auto loan with one of our nieces. We approached her because she needs to establish good credit (a divorce 8 years ago did her in); I have excellent credit, but the loaning bank doesn't look at humans--only records. Her credit is "bad," so the percentage rate is high, and that makes the payments too high for her. I'm still negotiating because I know her! She won't miss a payment. This morning, I'm visiting our small more-local bank to inquire what interest rate we could get there.
3. We had a thunderstorm yesterday, but it came with welcome rain--almost half an inch at our house. It's not good for farmers who have started the grain harvest, but things should work out okay.
4. I still don't have a dress for our son's wedding on August 18; my husband will get Aug. 9 off so we can travel over the mountains to Washington and do some shopping.
5. The hummingbirds have descended on my feeders again. I don't remember this happening in previous years; maybe they know something we don't! Often, there are four female hummers feeding at once. I've put up a third feeder next to hanging baskets on the back porch. (We did wonder if forest fires might be affecting them, too.)
Nancy...I'll miss your beautiful textures, but I've collected all that I can. Thank you!