REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Saturday, September 15, 2018

Traveling North Again

Just north of where I live is part of the Umatilla National Forest; roads wander here and there, crossing county lines.  Recently, my husband and I took a drive which was essentially a "loop" into some territory I hadn't seen before.  (I've lived here almost 45 years, but there are still places I haven't been.) Although the temperatures have cooled considerably, it is still very dry.  But there is something special about being able to drive "into the woods."






                               
This canyon must have a name, but I couldn't find it on the map.  It's fairly deep. 


I love the look of young Tamarack (Western Larch) trees; they are bright green in the fall landscape. Soon, they will turn yellow and drop their needles, unlike any other conifer. 


The road looks smooth...but it's gravel and and it's rough in many places. 


A terrific view to the south: Mt. Harris (5000+ feet) on the left, Mt. Emily (6000+ feet) on the right, and Pumpkin Ridge in the right center.  This land formation separates Indian Valley, where I live, 
from the huge Grande Ronde Valley to the south. 






Lookingglass Creek is the home of the Lookingglass Fish Hatchery

 The Grande Ronde River, which is very low at this time of year. 

From the river to Cricket Flat is a gradual climb.

5 comments:

Bill said...

I would love to have taken that drive... Thanks for sharing it.

Michelle said...

Gorgeous views....I think most of us miss what is closest to us. I know I do.

Barb said...

Evelyn, I liked taking a drive into the forest with you. It is also so dry here in Summit County, CO. However, we are in the midst of the changing colors of fall. Our streams and lakes are also low. Lovely photos!

Leslie Miller said...

There are still roads I've never been down, too, but I've enjoyed a lot of discovery this year. Beautiful photos, Evelyn. It's interesting about the Larch, isn't it?

Cloudia said...

Yes, very special I'd say! Glad I wandered here