REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Friday, January 17, 2014

Frugal Still Life Week 2

I struggled with this week's lesson in Cheryl's Frugal Still Life  for some reason.  I like filling the frame with my subject, but I know that some negative space is good, too.  What I ended up with were two vignettes with busy backgrounds, not really the best for still life. Glass subjects can be a little "iffy" too.

This image went through a bit of editing!  I used RadLab, Topaz Clarity, and Pic Monkey.
I used an Olympus ultrazoom camera, handheld, f3.5, 1/30   I also applied one layer of Cheryl's
Volume 17 #1 texture in the edits.


This pullback image shows the full height of the bottle and flower--a Christmas gift from my youngest sister.


These items were photographed with the same Olympus camera, but on a tripod -- f4.2  and 1/15 sec
Edits included Topaz's Clarity and Adjust, plus a frame in PicMonkey.  The painting is actually green with the gold foil behind the bottles; I used natural light and adjusted white balance but the color is still off.  
Pullback scene
.  

17 comments:

Laura~Pretty Pix said...

I think you did wonderfully.. I especially like your first image, it's really lovely.

Lisa Gordon said...

I think you did wonderfully too, and I absolutely LOVE the first one, Evelyn!

marie grady palcic said...

the first image is my favorite - there is something about it, maybe the intensity of the whites, that ties it together and simplifies the image beautifully! very nice!

Rosie Grey said...

I find it always very difficult to arrange objects for still life shots! I love your arrangements and I also love to see how you did it - amazing!

Rosie Grey said...

I find it always very difficult to arrange objects for still life shots! I love your arrangements and I also love to see how you did it - amazing!

Rosie Grey said...

I find it always very difficult to arrange objects for still life shots! I love your arrangements and I also love to see how you did it - amazing!

Candy C. said...

WOW!! I really like both of these shots, negative space or not!! :)

Carole M. said...

you've certainly created a very interesting still life (I think you're being too hard on yourself). I thought you might've taken the photos in a home-decorator store but no! Your sister's gift is very elegant and I think the compositions are totally delightful Evelyn. I must check Cheryl's website link...

Anonymous said...

Lovely arrangements.

Nina said...

Hi Michelly, Oh the 1st images brings me right back to Downton Abbey - beautiful! A great idea to have the mirror as a brack drop. Those bottles are just adorable, the way you've captured them is so pretty!

Ida said...

I think these are lovely. The 1st one is my favorite, I think it has a wonderful "vintage" feel to it.

Missus Wookie said...

I really like both set ups but that top shot is so nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the bottles with the butterflies on top. The varying heights are just right and I love the edits!

The Mann Fam said...

I think you did a lovely job. I agree with Rosie, I find setting up vignettes difficult as well and you did so nicely. I especially love the first one. The variety of heights and dimensions give the vignette interest and the contrast of the wooden panes behind are the perfect touch.

Cheryl McCain said...

I have to agree with Carol that you're being too hard on yourself. ALL these images are quite lovely. I favor the first one because I love the way your objects are being reflected in the glass behind them. You did a WONDERFUL job!
http://cherylmccainphotography.com

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Really interesting props for this shoot....I thought you went downtown giftshop and took a few snaps while no one was looking:)Really pretty setups too!

Unknown said...

Your photography is wonderful, Evelyn and I am in LOVE with all the glass and mirror in the first one. You are absolutely right when you say glass is tricky - but wow! how glorious are these dressed-up bottles and the old mirror behind them. Absolutely stunning. I have an uncontrollable urge to go and dress up some bottles!