REDISCOVERING MYSELF THROUGH PHOTOGRAPHY

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

In the Neighborhood

I live in a rural town...two blocks from my back door is "countryside."  There's a big, boggy pasture where four horses were once kept.  They were all 18 to 20 years old, and during the summer they pulled the Elgin Stampede stagecoach in a handful of parades and rodeos.  This winter, however, they were replaced by some strange looking newcomers: Scottish Highland cattle.  This is a small herd of 4 cows and 1 bull. Ian is the bull and Calypso is the "blonde" cow...they came with names because they are registered. 

The first time I photographed them was on a 26-degree day in November.  The second was last week during a snow storm that was more like a snow globe experience.  Huge flakes fell so rapidly.  My lens was fast enough to capture the flakes...if I changed the speed, my photos were streaked. 

These cattle were obviously bred for harsh winters; they are right at home in the weather we've been having this month.  The cows won't calve until late spring, and I can hardly wait!  Highland calves are small and fuzzy.  They'll be perfect subjects for my camera. 








1 comment:

Leslie Miller said...

I love LOVE these photos! Great subjects, great photography. I can't wait to see the calves!